- Ola El-Zammar, MD currently working as an associate
professor as well as the director of surgical pathology (histopathology) at
SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York.
- She holds the American Board certification in Anatomic and
Clinical Pathology as well as Cytopathology. She is also fellowship trained in
Pulmonary Pathology (with Dr. Anna Luise Katzenstein).
- She has a particular interest in GI and pancreatobiliary
Pathology and serves as the go-to person for severe cases in our department.
- After completing my medical school degree in 1996, She was
in the UK briefly in 1998-1999 as an observer at Withington Hospital in
Manchester, where she shadowed Dr. N.Y. Haboubi in GI as well as general
- She moved to Boston in July 1999 to start her official
training in Pathology at Boston University Medical Center where she spent three
years. Then she moved to SUNY Upstate to join my husband in Syracuse.
- She finished her training and my subspecialties and stayed
on as an attending pathologist, where she currently an Associate Professor and
Director of Surgical Pathology.
- Ola El-Zammar as
director of Surgical Pathology, she runs the daily Surgical Pathology consensus
conference. In this conference, which serves an essential internal quality
assurance (QA) function in her department, attending pathologists bring severe
cases from the day's sign-out for internal peer review and solicit ideas for
additional workup and diagnosis.
- She also provides a consultation service for difficult cases
that are sent to her department form other institutions in the Upstate New York
- In addition, she runs an expert consultation service for difficult
pulmonary and pleural pathology cases from pathologists all over the country.
- She also participates in running the laboratory and helps to
solve technical and managerial issues that may occur, such as personnel issues,
- She is actively involved in teaching trainees by providing
teaching conferences in GI, pulmonary, and cytopathology as well as a weekly
unknown cases conference.
- Ola El-Zammar is quite experienced in the field of digital
pathology. Their department purchased a digital pathology system for research
purposes in 2013-2014, which they use quite extensively for teaching purposes. Besides, they provide a remote consultation service using digital pathology
with their satellite hospital in the area. They are in the process of switching
to all-digital in the near future, awaiting the arrival of their new clinically
approved digital pathology system.
- Myers JL, El-Zammar O. Pathology of drug-induced lung disease. In Katzenstein and Askin’s Surgical pathology of non-neoplastic lung disease. Philadelphia: Saunders, 2006; 85-125.
- El-Zammar OA, Katzenstein AL. Pathological diagnosis of granulomatous lung disease: a review. Histopathology. 2007 Feb;50 (3):289-310.
- N. Y. Haboubi, O. El-Zammar, S. T. O'Dwyer and R. J. James. Radiation bowel disease: Pathogenesis and management. Colorectal Disease. 2000, 2, 323-329:
- Diandra Perez and Ola El-Zammar. Cicatricial variant of organizing pneumonia: a case description and literature review. Accepted for publication in the Lung, Pulmonary& Respiratory Research Journal.
- Mariangela Gomez, MD; Sylva Bem, MD; Ola El-Zammar, MD; Rana Naous, MD. Classic Hodgkin Lymphoma with initial extranodal osseous presentation: A Case report and literature review. Accepted for publication in the AME case reports journal.
- Diandra Perez, Ola El-Zammar, and Rana Naous. Low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma: a rare case in an unusual location. Submitted to SAGE Open Medical Case Reports.
- Daniel J. Zaccarini, Rana Naous, Yesha Sheth, Ola El-Zammar, Gustavo de la Roza, Christopher M. Curtiss. TLE-1 Positive Angiomatoid Fibrous Histiocytoma (AFH) Mimicking Synovial Sarcoma. Submitted for publication (November 2016) to Applied Immunohistochemistry & Molecular Morphology journal.
- Rawlins SR, El-Zammar O, Zinkievich JM, Newman N, Levine RA. Digital Quantification Is More Precise than Traditional Semiquantitation of Hepatic Steatosis: Correlation with Fibrosis in 220 Treatment-Naïve Patients with Chronic Hepatitis C. Dig Dis Sci. 2010; 55 (7): 2049-57.
- Brian D Kubiak, Scott P Albert, Louis A Gatto, Girish Trikha, Ola El-Zammar and Gary F Nieman. Loss of airway pressure during HFOV results in an extended loss of oxygenation: A retrospective animal study. Journal of Surgical Research 2010; 162: 250-257.
- S Mukhopadhyay, OA El-Zammar, A-LA Katzenstein. Pulmonary Meningothelial-Like Nodules: New Insights into a Common but Poorly Understood Entity. Am J Surg Pathol. 2009; 33 (4): 487-495.
- El-ZammarO, Zhang S, Katzenstein ALA. Comparison of FISH, PCR, and immunohistochemistry in assessing EGFR status in lung adenocarcinoma and correlation of with clinicopathologic features. Diagn Mol Pathol. 2009; 18:133-137.
- El-Zammar O, Rosenbaum P, Katzenstein ALA. Proliferative activity in fibrosing lung diseases: A comparative study of Ki-67 immunoreactivity in diffuse alveolar damage, bronchiolitis obliterans-organizing pneumonia, and usual interstitial pneumonia. Hum Pathol. 2009 ; 40:1182 -88.
- Nasr M. El-Zammar O. Comparison of pHH3, Ki-67 and Survivin Immunoreactivity in Benign and Malignant Melanocytic Lesions. Am J Dermatopathol. 2008; 30:117–122.
- El Zammar O, Katzenstein A-LA. Pathologic diagnosis of granulomatous lung disease: A review. Histopathol 50:289, 2006.
- Yantiss RK, Sapp HL, Farraye FA, El-Zammar O, O'Brien MJ, Fruin AB, Stucchi AF, Brien TP, Becker JM, Odze RD. Histologic Predictors of Pouchitis in Patients with Chronic Ulcerative Colitis. Am J Surg Pathol. 2004; 28: 999-1006.
- Fruin AB, El-Zammar O, Stucchi AF, O'Brien M, Becker JM. Colonic metaplasia in the ileal pouch is associated with inflammation and is not the result of long-term adaptation
Letter to the Editor
- El-Zammar O, Haidar A. Immunoreactivity of ductal cells with putative myoepithelial markers: a potential pitfall in breast carcinoma. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2003;7: 335.
- Divakar Lal, Ola El-Zammar, Timothy Damron. Intra-articular Extraskeletal EWSR1 Negative, NR4A3 Positive Myxoid Chondrosarcoma of the Knee with Intermediate-term Survival. Submitted for publication.
- Surabhi Mukhopadhyay, Sanjay Mukhopadhyay, Ola El-Zammar, Kamal Khurana, Stephen Graziano. Meningeal metastases from ovarian carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 1010-1011.
- Michael Swartz, Ola El-Zammar, Steve Landas, Joseph Bataglia, Gregory Fink. Enteric cyst with epicardial attachment to the left ventricle. Cardiovasc Pathol. 2006;15: 113-5.
- OE Zammar and KK Khurana. Preliminary versus Final diagnosis in Fine Needle Aspiration- How often and why diagnosis are changed. 53nd Annual Scientific Meeting, San Diego, November 2005, Cancer supplement 2005:105(5):412 A.
Papers Published in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Swartz MF, El-Zammar O, Landas S, Battaglia J, Fink GW. Enteric cyst with epicardial attachment of the left ventricle. Cardiovasc Pathol. 15:113-5, 2006.
- O. El-Zammar, L.J.Kohman, E. Scalzetti and K.K.Khurana, FNA Findings in CT Detected Lung Lesions in Early Lung Cancer Action Program (ELCAP).American Society of Cytopathology. 51st Annual Scientific Meeting, Florida, November 2003, Acta Cytol 2003:47(5):992.