- 2011: Bachelor of Science, Double Major in Biological Sciences & Psychology - Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States.
- 2017: Doctor of Medicine - Avalon University School of Medicine, Willemstad, Curacao.
- Apr 2018–current: Crisis counselor (Crisis Text Line) - Completed 30-hour online training. Answer texts from people in crisis: build rapport, explore, identify texter’s goal, and collaborative problem solving. Issues encountered: Abuse-emotional, physical, sexual, anxiety/stress, bullying, eating/body image, depression/ sadness, gender/ sexual identity, grief, isolation/ loneliness, relationship, self-harm, substance use, suicide .
- Jan 2018–August 2019: Research analyst/writer - Independent research: Avalon University School of Medicine, , Willemstad, Curaçao.
- Jan 2014–Sept 2015: Medical Extern (Dr. Shubhangi Thakur: Internal Medicine) - Medical history, physical exam, differential diagnosis and plan. Document thorough and accurate patient notes. Advanced knowledge of EMR.
- Sep 2009–Jan 2011: Research Intern Microbial Risk Assessment – Dr. Schaffner - Rutgers University New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States.
- May 2010–Dec 2010: Research Intern Industrial & Organizational Psychology – Dr. Aiello - Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey, United States.
- R, Shamim S, Patel K, et al. Primary Causes of Hospitalizations and Procedures, Predictors of In-hospital Mortality, and Trends in Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Events Among Recreational Marijuana Users: A Five-year Nationwide Inpatient Assessment in the United States. Cureus. 2018;10(8):e3195.
- Patel K, Bhivandkar S, Desai R, Antin T. The burden of psychiatric illnesses in adult patients with beta-thalassemia: a 5-year nationwide inpatient evaluation in the United States. Ann Hematol. 2019;98(4):851-860.
- Desai R, Singh S, Patel K, Fong HK, Kumar G, Sachdeva R. The prevalence of psychiatric disorders in sudden cardiac arrest survivors: A 5-year nationwide inpatient analysis. Resuscitation. 2019;136:131-135.
- Mansuri, Z., Patel, K., Desai, R., Zafar, MK., & Jain, S. Pimavanserin: Reply to Letter to the Editor for “Pimavanserin for Parkinson Disease Psychosis”. The Primary Care Companion for CNS Disorders. 2019, Sep; Pub Status: In-Press.
Oral Presentations/ Posters
- K. Patel (2018). Trends in stroke prevalence, stroke-related hospital stay, and hospital charges among recreational marijuana users: A 5-year Nationwide study in the United States. In press “International Journal of Stroke” Oral presentation at World Stroke Congress: October 19, 2018.
- K. Patel (2018). Contemporary seasonal variations in transient ischemic attack hospitalizations and in-hospital mortality in the United States: An update on the existing literature. In press “International Journal of Stroke” Poster presentation at World Stroke Congress: October 19, 2018.