Dr. Gulay Borekci received her MSc and PhD from the Medical Faculty of Erciyes University. She is serving as a Professor at Department of Molecular Microbiology and Nursing Management, University of Mersin. Her areas of research cover sexually transmitted diseases, bacterial (Pseudomonas, Mycobacteria) and viral diseases (viral hepatitis), nosocomial infections and antimicrobial resistant.
Dr. Gulay Borekci's research goal is to explore the microbial diseases in an inter disciplinary way and to expand our understanding of the relationship human and microbes, their contribution to the role in the diseases of human. She uses various molecular (FISH, PCR, etc) and conventional techniques in her researches. She has served on many boards as secret aria and editorial board member of journals, ethic board member, and board members of university.
- Akbas E, Söylemez F, Derici E, Borekci G, Kanik A. Effects of X-rays and cigarette smoking on leukocyte, lymphocyte and mitotic index values and SCE rates: the relationship between mitotic index and lymphocyte count. Toxicology and Industrial Health, 2003;19(2-6):81-91.
- Arslan H, Duran N, Borekci G, Koray Ozer C, Akbay C. Antimicrobial activity of some thiourea derivatives and their nickel and copper complexes.Molecules, 2009; 22;14 (1):519-527.
- Börekçi G, Ersöz G, Otag F, Özturhan H, Sen S, SÖylemez F, Akalin H, Özkul Y, Emekdas G. Identification of Candida species from blood cultures with fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH), polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR-RFLP) and conventional culture methods. Medical Journal of Trakya University, 2010; 27 (2): 183-191.
- Börekçi G, Ersöz G,Göksu M, Erdogan S, Emekdas G. The high rate of multiple-species candidemia detected with fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) methods. What are the clinical and prognostic implications? Turkiye Klinikleri J Med Sci, 2010; 30(6):1944-1952.
- Özer S, Börekçi G, Bulduklu P, Çiftci A, Kanik A, Onuk EA. Evaluation of Fluorescence in situ Hybridization (FISH) and Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) for identification of Enterococcus spp. in Fish and Water. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture- Bamidgeh, IIC: 63. 2011; 643-650.
- Börekçi G, Karakas Çelik S, Kandemir Ö, Aras N, Yalin S. Investigation of IL-1 Beta, IL-1 Receptor Antagonist and IL-8 Gene Polymorphisms in Patients with Chronic Hepatitis B and C. Mikrobiyol Bul, 2014;48(2):271-282.
- Özbal Y, Börekçi G. The virological characteristics of hepatitis B virus (HBV) and preventation from its infections. Erciyes Medical Journal, 1992; (A.Bilge) Ek-1: 120-137.
- Börekçi G, Özbal Y. Immunisation against hepatitis B virus infection of high risk hospital employee.Turkish Journal of Infection, 1993; 7 (3-4): 269-72.
- Börekçi G, Otag F. The investigation of the seroprevalance of hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus, and human immunodeficiency virus and related risk factors in healthy pregnants. Turkish Journal of Infection, 2004;18 (2):219-23.
- Börekçi G, Uzel A. Assesment of knowledge level of drug users about hepatitis B and C in Mersin City. Mersin Üniv.Saglik Bilim Derg, 2011;4(3),30-36.
- Börekçi G, Yolal D, Aras N. Scavenger receptors and its association with hepatitis C. Mersin Üniv.Saglik Bilim Derg, 2012;5 (3): 18-23.
- Börekçi G, Aras N, Kandemir Ö, Yalin S, Karakas Çelik S, Berköz MInvestigation of the association between chronic hepatitis B and C infections and TNF-a (-308) gene polymorphism.Mikrobiyol Bul. 2016 Apr;50(2):236-44.