Dr. Bhaskar Purushottam received his medical degree at Bangalore Medical College, India. He then went to do his three year Internal Medicine residency [post graduation] in New Zealand. Finally, he moved to the United States to do a three year residency in Internal Medicine, followed with three years of fellowship in Cardiovascular Medicine at Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia. Following which he did a one year fellowship in Interventional Cardiology at William Beaumont Hospital, Michigan.
Dr. Bhaskar Purushottam finally completed his post graduate training with a one year fellowship in Endovascular and Structural Interventions at Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York. He then took up a job at Rapid City Regional Hospital, Rapid City in August 2015 and has been there since. He is a board certified Interventional Cardiologist and Vascular Specialist, who was the first doctor in the United States to use the Drug Coated Balloon in lower extremity arterial disease.
Dr. Bhaskar Purushottam is the first doctor to have implanted the Impella RP [world smallest heart pump for the right side of the heart] in the Dakotas [even before Mayo Clinic]. He has published original research papers, review articles, textbook chapters, research abstracts and oral presentations at the American Heart Association. He is a recipient of multiple awards and is the Principal Investigator and Key Investigator in multiple multi-center trials.
- Krishnan P, Purushothaman KR, Purushothaman M, Tarricone A, Chen S, Singla S, et al. Histological features of restenosis associated with paclitaxel drug-coated balloon: implications for therapy. Cardiovasc Pathol. 2019;43:107139.
- Gajanana D, Mezue J, George JC, Purushottam B, Wheeler D, Morris DL, et al. Effects of Pulmonary Hypertension on Kidney Function. Clinical Pulmonary Medicine. 2017;24(1):26-28.
- Maludum O, Nwakile C, Mezue K, Shah M, Purushottam B, Morris DL, et al. QRS duration predicts left ventricular systolic function following ST elevation myocardial infarction. Int J Cardiol. 2016;207(300)2.
- Gajanana D, Seetha Rammohan H, Alli O, Romero-Corral A, Purushottam B, Ponamgi S, Figueredo VM, Pressman GS. Echocardiography. 2015.
- Nwakile C, Purushottam B, Bhalla V, Ukpong D, Shah M, Yun J, et al. Significance of QRS Duration in non-ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction. Int J Cardiol. 2015;25(187):146-147.
- Nwakile C, Purushottam B, Yun J, Bhalla V, Morris DL, Figueredo VM, et al. QRS duration predicts 30 day mortality following ST elevation myocardial infarction. Int J Cardiol Heart Vasc. 2014;5:42-44.
- Purushottam B, Wiley J, Krishnan P. Drug Coated Balloons in Long Femoropopliteal Lesions. The Critical Limb Ischemia Compendium. Vascular Disease Management. 2014.
- Purushottam B, Gujja K, Zalewski A, Krishnan P. Acute Limb Ischemia. Interv Cardiol Clin. 2014;3(4):557-572.
- Parameswaran AC, Purushottam B, Amanullah A, Figueredo VM. Distribution of dyssynchrony in subjects with no known cardiac disease and comparison of velocity vector imaging to color-coded tissue Doppler imaging. Echocardiography. 2013;30(2):180-9.
- Purushottam B, Parameswaran AC, Figueredo VM. Dyssynchrony in Obese Subjects Without a History of Cardiac Disease Using Velocity Vector Imaging. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2011;24(1):98-106.
- Kim J, Purushottam B, Chae YK, Chebrolu L, Amanullah A. Relation between common allergic symptoms and coronary heart disease among NHANES III participants. Am J Cardiol. 2010;106(7):984-7.
- Pressman GS, Crudu V, Parameswaran AC, Romero-Corral A, Purushottam B, Figueredo VM. Can Total Cardiac Calcium Predict The Coronary Calcium Score?. Int J Cardiol. 2011;146(2):202-6.
- Parameswaran AC, Purushottam B, Amanullah A, Figueredo VM. Distribution of Dyssynchrony in Subjects with No Known Cardiac Disease and Comparison of Velocity Vector Imaging to Color-Coded Tissue Doppler Imaging. Echocardiography. 2013;30(2):180-9.
- 2011: Travel Award, Council on Peripheral Vascular Disease, American Heart Association, Scientific Sessions.
- 2011: America’s Top Cardiologist.
- 2011: Marquis Who’s Who.
- 2011: Strathmore’s Who’s Who.
- 2008: 2009, 2011: Research Awards from Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia.
- 2012: Outstanding Fellow Award from Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia.
- 2012: Frank Hammond Sivitz Award from Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia.
- 2014: First to use the peripheral drug coated balloon in USA, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York.
- 2014 to 2015: Live peripheral cases, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York.
- 2015 to 2016: Faculty, CCVVC Symposium (Complex Coronary, Valvular and Vascular Cases), Mount Sinai Heart, New York.
- 2016: First to implant the Impella RP in the Dakotas and before Mayo Clinic.
- 2019: Intra-arterial thrombolysis for FrostBite.
- 2019: Abiomed Advisory Board for Right Sided Support, Danvers, MA.
2015, 2016, 2017, 2019: Multiple Television Interviews:
- Women’s heart health, Kota TV, Rapid City, SD,USA.
- Impella RP Implantation, Kota TV, Rapid City, SD,USA.
- Use of supplemental calcium, Kota TV, Rapid City, SD,USA.
- Treating cardiogenic shock and heart health, Kota TV, Rapid City, SD,USA.
- Smallest heart pump, Kota TV, Rapid City, SD,USA.
2017, 2018, 2019: Peripheral Artery Disease Section Co-Director:
- Endovascular Fellows Course Co-Director.
- LINC Mount Sinai Endovascular Symposium.
- Mount Sinai Hospital, New York.